Nominating your Students
Teachers together with the administrative team from their respective schools will determine process for selecting a maximum of three candidates for application to the Voelcker Academy. Each school team is required to submit a form that will include a description of the criteria utilized to select their applicant candidates. This document is to be submitted with the applicant candidate names. Name submissions will not be accepted without the Criteria for Nominees Selection Form. Disclosure of the nominee selection process is to ensure transparency and to avoid any conflicts of interest; such as familial relationships between nominees and members of the selection committee. Students whose names are submitted by each school will be given access to an electronic application link where they will complete the application documents online. Paper applications will not be accepted. The final cohort of students will be selected from those applicants that are invited to interview. If you have any further questions or are in need of the Nomination Form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org directly.
Voelcker Biomedical Research Academy Informational Sessions. These sessions are for classes where freshmen are attendees, given that Voelcker Academy is back to the a 3-year format, requiring that new applicants be freshmen. Specific information about the next cohort of Voelcker applicant will be sent in a forthcoming email in October. The sessions will discuss what the Academy is about, competitive application and answer questions regarding the application process. These 45-60 minute information sessions will be offered on 9/22, 10/6, 10/20, 11/3, 11/17, and 12/1. To schedule, please email email@example.com directly.
Key Application Dates
|Dates (Updated)||Application Process|
|October 11, 2021 through January 14, 2022||Schools select candidates
|January 14th, 5:00 pm||Deadline for schools to submit the names of up to three candidates and their email addresses to firstname.lastname@example.org via TYPED nomination form|
|January 24, 2022||Candidate Applicants recommended by their schools are provided link to application|
|February 25, 2022, 11:59 pm||Deadline for completion of the online application by individual students|
|Week of April 4th||Virtual Interviews|
|April 30, 20212||Final selection of Class of Summer 2022|
Recommended Candidate Selection Criteria
Please consider the following when selecting your school’s candidates
- Age requirement: 15 years old by June 15, 2022
- Classification: Freshman in the 2021-2022 school year
- Academic performance: 90% or higher in math, science and English or a grade of 85% or better if the applicant is enrolled in an honors or pre-AP course
- Potential for two year commitment to program: This is a 3 year program, running for 7 weeks in the summer (Monday-Friday), with an average 5-8 hour/day. Voelcker Scholars are also invited to activities scheduled during the academic school year and are expected to make every effort to attend. As the conclusion of the entire program, students present their work at an award reception. Each summer, participants receive a monetary scholar award.
- Parental permission for participation in the Academy is required, as is parental involvement and attendance at orientation and reception events
- Ability to provide the following:
- Student Essay
- Current Official Transcript to be uploaded to the application platform by applicant
- 2 Letters of Recommendation with at least one being from a science teacher
Please share this information with others at your school who might be able to also participate in this process. Thank-you for your assistance in identifying the best candidates for consideration of admission into the Voelcker Biomedical Research Academy Class of Summer 2022!
*Future applicants should note that the Cohort of 2022 may begin with virtual experiences leading up to the summer due to the COVID-19 precautions (i.e. workshops, interviews, etc.).